Can I tell someone what to do in case I’m severely injured and cannot speak for myself?

Yes. Under Virginia law you can execute a written Advance Medical Directive to instruct your family, physicians, and care providers about your care, including the use or termination of life-sustaining measures in certain situations. The same document can appoint a trusted family member, friend, or professional to serve as your agent to make medical decisions on your behalf when you cannot do so yourself. You should consult an attorney to assist you in preparing an Advance Directive. 

Information is power. Share it!

Leave a Reply