What public assistance is available to me?

The Virginia Department of Social Services administers a variety of programs that may assist you and your family. These programs include, but are not limited to, food assistance, medical assistance, childcare assistance, and general assistance. Contact your local Virginia Department of Social Services for more details. 

How do I determine whether I am eligible?

To be eligible for most programs, an applicant must: “(1) Live in Virginia; (2) Be a U.S. citizen or meet certain requirements if you are an immigrant; (3) Apply at the agency that serves the city or county where you live; (4) Meet specific requirements of each program for which you are applying; and (5) Apply for other benefits that …