If I am injured or living away from home for an extended period of time, can someone handle my finances and pay my bills for me?

You can make and sign a “power of attorney” that gives someone you trust, like a parent or friend, the power to do business related things on your behalf, such as deposit or withdraw money from your bank accounts, call the insurance company on your behalf to discuss a claim, or sign contracts and leases that have your name on them. This power of attorney can be limited or very broad, and you can revoke it at any time. Most important, a properly drafted document can be especially useful in the event you become disabled or incompetent and need help. An attorney can help you understand the uses and possible limitations of a power of attorney when preparing this document. 

Information is power. Share it!