If I have a child when I am not married, what are my legal obligations to that child?

Both parents have legal obligations, regardless of whether you are married to the child’s other parent. If you do not voluntarily take financial responsibility for your child, the court may order you to pay support in a fixed amount. This responsibility generally continues until your child reaches age 18, or if still a full-time high school student until age 19 or graduation, whichever occurs first. If you refuse to pay support, your wages could be garnished and you could even face imprisonment. If a man denies that he is a child’s father, the court can order a blood test to determine paternity. 

Information is power. Share it!